I have a nightly battle that goes on at my house. I have two picky eaters and one who will eat pretty much anything. I love trying new recipes but I hate hearing terms like, “gross” , “what is that?”, “I’m not eating that.”. (Is it just me???? Please say it is not just me!) So when I came across a recipe for Cheeseburger soup, I knew I had to give it a try.
My boys like cheeseburgers and for the most part they like soup, so naturally they should like Cheeseburger soup. And when I find a recipe that all of my boys like, I definitely have to share it.
Even though it is starting to get warm/hot in my neck of the woods, we have still had a few chilly days (and yes I realize that chilly to me would be considered heat wave to some of my friends. 🙂 )
My favorite thing to do on a rare stormy day is make some soup. It is easy to do and warms you right up!
This Cheeseburger soup recipe is adapted from Taste of Home. I modified it just a bit by adding more broth and cheese and it turned out great! Even my pickiest eater ate it all up.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 C chopped onion
- 3/4 C shredded carrots
- 3/4 C diced celery
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 4 Tbls butter (divided)
- 3-4 C chicken broth divided
- 4 C diced peeled potatoes (1 3/4 pounds)
- 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 8-16 ounces process cheese like Velveeta (cubed (use less or more depending on how much cheese you like.)
- 1 1/2 C milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 C sour cream
- In a saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the onion, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 tbls of butter for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add 3 C broth, potatoes and beef and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-12 mins until potatoes are tender.
- While simmering, in a small skillet, melt remaining butter and add flour. You may need to add extra broth to make a smooth rue. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes.
- Add to soup and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 mins.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Stir in cheese, milk, salt and pepper and stir until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat and blend in sour cream.