This Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Cake and Cupcakes were the hit of my son’s 6th birthday party and the best thing about it is they are SIMPLE to make!
My son is a HUGE Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Fan so when he had the chance to choose his birthday theme, it was natural for him to choose his favorite Turtles. He started off the day with these super fun and really popular Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Pancakes and the rest of the day was full of the coolest turtle decorations (post coming soon) and this fun Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Cake and Cupcakes.
Supplies needed to make your very own Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Cake and Cupcakes: (Affiliate links included for your convenience.)
- Your favorite type of cake mix, we made chocolate. 🙂
- Your favorite frosting (we used Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy Vanilla Frosting)
- Wilton Sugar Sheets
- 3/4″ Wilton Candy Eyeballs
- Black Licorice Strings
- Mini-chocolate chips
- A few drops of green food coloring
- Green striped baking cups (not a must but they were fun)
Now, I normally would show you step-by-step pictures of how I made this fun cake but…my super naughty toddler got a hold of my phone and deleted all of my pictures. This is the only one that survived. Boo! So…I will describe it the best I can and please leave a comment or email me if you have questions. 🙂 #ToddlerTroubles!
- Mix up your cake mix by following the directions on the box. (or if you make from scratch then follow your own recipe. 😉 )
- Grease and flour one 9″ round cake pan and add baking cups to cupcake pan
- Fill the round cake pan a little more than half way full.
- Use the remaining batter to divide into the cupcake pan.
- Bake according to the package or until a toothpick comes out clean. Typically this takes around 25 minutes.
- Once warm, turn cake out on to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Mix a few drops of green food coloring into your frosting.
- Frost the cake and cupcakes.
- Using a sharp knife or kitchen scissors, cut one large strip and several small strips of the Wilton Sugar Sheets. You can decide which Ninja Turtles you want to make and use the appropriate color. Make sure to ask your kids because they WILL know if you get it wrong!
- For the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cake, add the strip of sugar sheet and use a dab of frosting to add the eyes. I also cut a small strip of the sugar sheet for the ends of the bandana and cut a “V” in the ends and laid it at an angle.
- Then use a small string of black licorice for the mouth and you are done with the cake.
- For the Cupcakes, add the cut up sugar strips for the bandanas.
- Then, cut some mini-marshmallows in half and use a dab of frosting to add them to the cupcakes. Then add the mini-chocolate chips for the insides. You can use mini candy eyes, but I didn’t have any and living where I do makes it difficult to find anything fun like that. But they would make these even easier!
And there you have it! And Easy Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Cake and Cupcakes that any mom can make.
Check back soon for our Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles party decorations.