If you have boys, you know about the “Boy Smell” that can be found in your bathroom, even when freshly cleaned. Here are some solutions that have worked for me to get rid of the “boy smell” in your bathroom.
How to Get Rid of the Boys Smell In Your Bathroom
I don’t know what it is about boys and their need to pee everywhere. But over time, if not cleaned properly, the “boy smell” will take over. here are a few thing that can help to get the “boy smell” out of your bathroom.
I have seen just about everything in the past 13 years of raising boys. There was the time my son got up in the middle of the night and peed in the bathroom garbage can, or the time he didn’t even make it that far and peed on the bathroom rug. Then there was the time a different son thought it was a great idea to pee in a plastic container that I had behind the toilet where the toilet had leaked. I had left it there after my husband fixed it, just in case it leaked again. The container was hidden behind the toilet and I didn’t discover that mess for a day or so until the stench was awful. And then that same son would wait too long to head to the bathroom and as his pants came down, he would start spraying like a fire hose. Yeah, it’s safe to say that I clean my boys’ bathroom at least 2-3 times/week or more.
But, I do have some favorite cleaning methods that get rid of the boy smell in your bathroom and help keep the bathroom fresh.
I have already written about preparing your bathroom for raising boys, so make sure you check it out. There are a few things to look at in your bathroom that will really help to keep it clean and fresh.
Quickly Clean Urine Stains
All-Purpose Bathroom Cleaner
For everyday cleaning, I thought I’d share my Grandma’s All-Purpose Cleaner with you. This is my go-to for everyday light cleaning and wipe down and it works just as well as store-bought expensive cleaners. I even have it in her handwriting.
This cleaner is really easy to make and I use it a few times per week on the walls and tile in my bathroom. And it makes a gallon so I don’t have to mix it up very often.
You only need three items:
- 1 Pint Rubbing Alcohol
- 1 tsp. Liquid Dish Soap
- 2 Tbls Ammonia (You can even get Lemon-smelling Ammonia to give your bathroom a fresh smell.)
- Mix all ingredients in a gallon jug. I do not use milk cartons because they will leak eventually. Find one that held water if you can.
- Fill the jug with water and gently shake to mix everything together. (Don’t shake too vigorously because the dish soap will bubble up a lot.
- Pour cleaner into a spray bottle and store the rest in the gallon jug. It will store for a long time.
How to Make a Natural Bathroom Cleaner
- Make a mixture of Baking Soda and lemon juice (Freshly squeezed if possible). Start with around 3 Tbls of baking soda and add a little bit of lemon juice at a time until you have the consistency of pancake batter.
- Spread the paste along the bottom of the toilet on the floor, behind the toilet seat, or anywhere else urine might splash. Let it set for 10-15 minutes.
- When the time is up, spray the areas with white vinegar and watch it fizzle. When the fizzing is done, wipe it down with a damp cloth.
Easy and so effective! I like to use this in my grout around the toilet as well.
Using these cleaning tips will help you get rid of the boy smell in your bathroom hopefully for good! Now if we can just get them to aim!!
What tips do you have to get rid of the boy smell in your bathroom?
This post is a part of our series 31 Days of Tips for Raising Boys. Each day throughout the series we are discussing a different topic regarding raising boys. I’d love for you to follow along and share this series with other parents of boys who may need some support or just to hear that they aren’t alone in their journey of raising boys.
Check out the next post in our series: Tips for Keeping Boys Full On a Budget
Find all of our posts in one place on our series home page: 31 Days of Tips for Raising Boys
If you are constantly cleaning up after boys, you might like these posts: