The holidays are the perfect time to create some really fun and festive food. These Gingerbread Oreo Cookie People turned out so cute! They are perfect for school class parties, or just as a special treat for your kids or neighbors.
Gingerbread Oreo Cookies
You know, holiday baking really is my favorite. Some people think I’m crazy, but the more treats and yummy food we can have, the better! For as long as I can remember I’ve been in the kitchen helping with some treat and I love that I can now get my boys excited to bake as well. It’s my goal to raise boys who know how to DO things! Like cook!
Treats like these gingerbread people made from Oreo cookies, are an easy way to get kids used to being in the kitchen. There’s no actual baking involved, but kids will love designing their own people and making them look festive!
Gingerbread People Oreo Cookies
Yields 1 dozen
- Candy-cookie mold
- 12 regular Oreo cookies
- 1 cup Wilton light cocoa melts
- Wilton candy decorator pens (or icing tubes) in white, red and blue
- 12 blue and 12 white candy sprinkles or smarties candies
- Wilton snowflake sprinkles
- 12 Wilton red Christmas confetti
- Wilton pink pearls
- Wilton candy bows
1. Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a medium microwave safe bowl, microwave the light cocoa candy melts for 45 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir. Continue to microwave in 10 second increments until melted and smooth.
3. Place 2 tablespoons of the melted chocolate into the bottom of each cookie mold. Place the Oreo cookies on top of the melted chocolate.
4. Spoon additional melted chocolate on top of the Oreo cookies, up to the top of each mold.
5. Chill for 30 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
6. Once chilled, remove the cookie molds from the refrigerator. Gently pop the Oreo cookies out of their molds and place on the lined baking sheet.
8. Using the white candy decorator pen, have some fun decorating your gingerbread people. You can mix it up by piping hair on some others (either fill the hair in completely or you can pipe curly-q lines) or just pipe short white lines around the diameter (like laces). Be creative! Kids will love creating their own gingerbread people!
9. For the eyes, you can use blue or white sprinkle candies that can be found at any craft store or even just Smarties. Dab a small amount of icing on the back and place on each cookie.
10. For the nose, apply a small amount of icing to the back of red Christmas confetti or pink pearls and place on each cookie.
11. Pipe a smile on each gingerbread face. Place a snowflake sprinkle or pink pearl on both corners of each smile.
12. For the girl gingerbread, pipe a bow at the top with red icing or you can apply icing to the back of a Wilton sugar bow.
13. Put a bow-tie on the gingerbread boys.
What is your favorite Christmas treat to make with your kids?
You might also like these Christmas treats and fun food ideas: