There’s nothing more fun than trying to cook everything on a stick or over a fire. Ditch the bun and have some fun making this hot dog on a stick on your next camping trip!
Hot Dog on a Stick: Camping Recipe Kids Will Love
My boys love cooking over a fire. Whether we are out camping or just enjoying a fire in the backyard fire pit, they are always wanting to cook something on a stick. They love to roast marshmallows and hot dogs, but we decided to mix things up a bit and instead of roasting hot dogs the traditional way, we used crescent rolls to make a hot dog on a stick.
Supplies Needed to Make Campfire Hot Dog on a Stick
- Hot Dogs
- Crescent Rolls
- Extra Long Skewer Sticks
- A Fire (But I’m guessing you knew that. 😉 )
How to Make Hot Dog on a Stick
- Begin by putting your hot dog on a skewer stick the long ways.
- Next, take two crescents (uncooked) and mold them into a ball of dough.
- Flatten with your hands until the dough makes a square.
- Place hot dog on the edge of the square and roll it up until you reach the end of the dough.
- Another way you can do this is take one crescent and roll it out into a long string and then wind it around the hot dog.
- You can either wrap in tin foil and place in the fire for 3-5 minutes, hold it over the fire in a traditional manner, or use a grilling surface over the fire (which is what we did).
- Cover in your favorite condiment and enjoy!
We love this twist to a camping favorite! Your kids will love making hot dog on a stick at your next camp-out!
What is your favorite camping recipe?
Also check out these easy camping recipes and activities: